Saturday, April 16, 2011

Final Reflection for Bridging Learning Theory, Instruction, and Technology

Students enter today’s classrooms with a wealth of knowledge when it comes to using technology. Educators need to know how to relate different learning theories and educational technology to engage students in the learning process (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2007). The course, Bridging Learning Theory, Instruction, and Technology, discussed in detail different learning theories that educators may use in their instruction. Also, the course demonstrated how to integrate different educational technology to meet the needs of the 21st century learner that revolved around the philosophy of each learning theory.

I considered my personal theory of learning to be more of constructivist approach at the beginning of the course, Bridging Learning Theory, Instruction, and Technology. However, after researching and learning more about the different theories, I would have to change my personal theory to an eclectic approach. The reason I would change my learning personal theory to an eclectic approach is because I agree with different learning theories for certain lessons or for the different learners in my class (Lever-Duffy & McDonald, 2008). Also, as a teacher, it is important to know what types of technology to use along with the learning theory one is applying so students will be engaged in higher-order thinking and problem solving (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2007). I have learned in this course how to use different types of educational technology in my instruction to create lessons that will be student directed to engage everyone in the learning process. For example, students can use Kidspiration to create and fill in graphic organizers to help learners to add and organize information they are leaning.

Throughout the course I have learned about different types of educational technology that can be immediately implemented in the classroom. The first technology tool I would like to incorporate in my teaching instruction for students to use would be concept mapping tools.
Concept mapping tools support Paivio’s dual coding hypothesis because they provide the learner with written information and visuals (Laureate Education, Inc. 2010). Concept mapping tools would enhance my students learning because many of them have trouble keeping information in order. Also, since I have several students on Individualized Learning Plans concept mapping tools will allow me to modify the organizer according to the student’s learning ability. The second technology tool I am looking forward to using with students is VoiceThread. Students will be able to create their own artifacts to share with others by using this educational technology. VoiceThread is another educational technology that could help me to modify lessons according the diverse needs of my students.

Since it is important for educators to learn how to use the latest technology tools in the classroom, I have set two long-term goals for myself. First, I plan on continuing to learn more about the different technology tools that were discussed in the course Bridging Learning Theory, Instruction, and Technology. This was the first time I used concept mapping tools and VoiceThread and hope to become more efficient using each of these educational tools as I implement them into my lessons. My second long-term goal is to continue researching and learning about the different types of educational tools there are available for educators. I plan on doing this through independent research, collaboration with peers, and continuing my education in the Master’s program at Walden University.

While educators may not be able to control how much educational technology is available for their students, they can learn how to use what is available more efficiently. Throughout the course, Bridging Learning Theory, Instruction, and Technology, I have been introduced to new technology tools that help to engage students in their own learning. Understanding how to create lessons that tie in educational technology will give my students more control of their own learning (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, 7 Malenoski, 2007).

The URL for my blog is: http://dforteagle.blogspot.com/


References:

Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2010). Program 5: Cognitive learning theories [DVD]. Bridging learning theory, instruction, and technology. Baltimore, MD: Author.

Lever-Duffy, J., & McDonald, J. (2008) Theoretical foundations (Laureate Education, Inc., custom ed.) Boston, MA: Pearson Education.

Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.

No comments:

Post a Comment